Monday, March 26, 2012

OH-IO


Just another sunny day in Cleveland and I can’t help thinking there is an extra spring in my step after watching the Ohio State Buckeyes serve up an exciting win over #1 seed Syracuse (sorry to my Orange friends, but if it’s any consolation you were selected by E! News as having one of the best uniforms due to using a very trendy spring color, tangerine).  After mourning the loss of my bracket that exploded into tiny bits with the fall of the Tarheels (pairing another spring favorite color, baby blue, with a classic argyle detail), I quickly rebounded when I realized I could now cheer for an Ohio team on their way to win a championship.  
For years I have fought the battle with many crazed fans donned in scarlet and gray and supporting a neck full of poisonous nuts on a string that Ohio State is simply a large university within the Ohio borders and is not the official team of Ohio.  However, I admit today I am tempted to purchase the very cool OH-IO scarlet T-shirt worn by Jared Sullinger during an interview with CBS yesterday.  Why the sudden change of heart?  I pondered this awhile before I realized it’s not just because this is an exciting team to watch with Aaron Craft’s spunk and determination, but also it’s because I’m usually not in a position to cheer for any of my teams post season.  You see, I’ve always been and always will be a Cavs, Indians and Browns fan and while they have had post-season thrills in my lifetime, those are now distant memories.  The Cavs are finishing up another so-so season where young Kyrie Irving has been forced to lead a team of inconsistent players with big contracts and little drive.  We are getting ready for another exciting season of Indians baseball which one month in will no doubt be considered another “rebuilding year”.  And when I’m tired of lack luster games at Progressive Field, I will dream of late summer Sundays in Cleveland Browns Stadium where I will count the minutes to the first mention of a quarterback controversy.  
So now I get it.  It’s tough to be a fan in this city that I love, but if you find a team that gives you something to cheer about you reach out with both hands and grab that sacred Buckeye necklace, thrust it high in the air and yell, “O-H!”  Hang on Sloopy, because this could be a wild ride.
There is balanced, imbalanced and somewhere in between you'll find Kimbalanced. 

No comments:

Post a Comment